Final rules are being published in the Federal Register today regarding implementation of a number of the provisions of the America Invents Act. Most of these provisions go into effect on September 16, 2012.
- Changes to Implement the Inventor’s Oath or Declaration Provisions
- Changes to Implement the Supplemental Examination Provisions
- Changes to Implement Inter Partes Review Proceedings, Post-Grant Review Proceedings, and Transitional Program for Covered Business Method Patents
- Rules of Practice for Trials before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board and Judicial Review of Patent Trial and Appeal Board Decisions
- Transitional Program for Covered Business Method Patents – Definitions of Covered Business Method Patent and Technological Invention
- Office Patent Trial Practice Guide
Meanwhile, the PTO is conducting an AIA Roadshow in September. PTO personnel will travel to various sites around the country to discuss and explain the implementation of the new rules that take effect next month.
Final rules regarding first-to-invent that take effect March 16, 2013 will be forthcoming at a later date.